How to Clean Carpet At Home?
Cleaning your carpets at home once every week is essential to maintain their appearance and cleanliness. You can do more frequent cleaning if you have pets or kids at home. Cleaning stains and spills is also important for protection from allergies. In this best guide given from the best carpet shop, we will tell you how to clean carpet at home in multiple ways. All the equipment needed to clean & wash the carpet will be available at your house.
Equipment Needed To Clean Carpet At Home
You need to gather the equipment before cleaning your carpet at home. These are the equipment that you will be required:
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Carpet Cleaner
- Rug Brush
- Spray Bottle
- Microfiber Cloth
Easy Steps to Clean Carpet At Home
Get Rid Of Dust And Dirt
There are other ways to clean your carpet instead of just using a vacuum. You can use tools like a carpet rake, a broom, or a carpet sweeper instead. You need to move your furniture and other items to do the thorough cleaning. Vacuum or brush slowly on the most dirty and high-traffic areas.
Use a lint roller to pick up the crumbs off the carpet. Let baking soda stay on the carpet for a few hours then remove it with a vacuum. Baking soda can help pick up the odors and oily stains.
Spot Clean Stain
Clean your carpet as soon as you spill something on it. You should quickly clean away the liquid spill with a tissue or a white towel. Please remember not to use a colored cloth to wipe it away because it will leave its own color. You can also opt for a stain remover if it is available at your home.
Deep Clean Your Carpet
Even if you clean your carpet on a daily basis it does not give it a new look. So you need to make sure to deep clean it a few times over a year to maintain its appearance. This way, you can increase the life of your carpet and keep it looking good. It doesn’t require much investment or effort. You can do it within one day and enjoy the lush appearance for many months.
Some Other Ways to Clean Carpet At Home
Use a carpet-cleaning machine
There are small carpet cleaning machines that can help you with the deep cleaning. You can follow these steps to clean your carpet with a carpet-cleaning machine:
- Remove the furniture and other items from the carpet.
- Use the vacuum cleaner to pick up the dirt and debris.
- Pretreat the stains that require extra attention after doing a color test on a small patch.
- Choose your preferred formula to add to the cleaning machine.
- Start your cleaning from a corner of your room. Push the machine forward and backward while pressing the spray bottle to clean the space.
- Let your carpet dry for a few hours and put your furniture back.
Use Distilled Vinegar Water
Begin your cleaning process by doing the spot cleaning and vacuuming the carpet to remove the soil, dirt, debris, and loose dirt. Skipping this step would mean you are driving the dust deeper into the fibers. Oil stains, tar, or pet accidents may require some special treatments.
- Mix one part of the vinegar solution with three parts of water in a spray bottle. You may need to refill your bottle if you have a large carpet.
- Spray the vinegar solution on the carpet. Make the carpet damp. Follow a pattern so you would know which area has been cleaned. Take extra precautions if you are cleaning a rug.
- Let the solution sit on the carpet for a few minutes so it can begin the process of breaking down the soil.
- Use a microfiber cloth to blot the soil and solution. Repeat the process after cleaning the cloth.
- Open the windows to let the carpet dry quickly. Do not let anyone walk on the carpet till it’s dried completely.
Use Baking Soda And Salt
Using baking soda and salt is a great home remedy to clean the carpet. It is also recommended by many cleaning professionals.
- Sprinkle the baking soda on the carpet and vacuum slowly to remove the loose dust.
- Make sure that you do not saturate the carpet.
- Use a carpet brush to brush over the carpet and remove the trapped dirt.
- Use the towels to blot the wet areas and absorb the moisture.
- Fill the bottle with clean and warm water to spray on the same areas.
- Finish off the process by letting your carpet air dry.
Steam Clean Your Carpet
A steam cleaner is much better than a simple vacuum. But it doesn’t get much deeper to the fabrics of the carpet. You can steam clean your carpets during deep cleaning sessions.
Also Read: How To Get Red Wine Out Of Carpet?
Make sure to read the instructions as every steam cleaner has different ways of cleaning.
- You should put water and cleaning solution in the steam cleaner. You can also put vinegar and water solution.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to remove the smell of vinegar.
- Start steam cleaning from a corner of the room.
- Let your room dry for a few hours.
Conclusion: How to Clean Carpet At Home?
There are different ways to follow when you don’t know how to clean carpet at home. These were some easy and effective ways to keep your carpet clean. You should deep clean your carpets a few times a year. We have explained the ways to clean your carpets using these items. You can follow these methods to keep your carpets in a good condition.